- Newly renovated in 2020.
- The pool is heated! The water temperature is usually about 27 degrees C.
- We are open EVERY DAY during the season (usually late April to mid-September).*
- There are hot showers and individual changing rooms plus a big sun terrace and picnic benches.
- “The Dive Thru” Café serving a variety of high quality healthy food for breakfast, lunch and late afternoons as well as coffee, tea, hot chocolate, baked goods, snacks and ice cream. click here
- The pool is approx. 25m long and goes down 3m in the deep end where there is a springboard
- Weekly swimming for children in term-time with intensive swimming courses during the school holidays
- Private lessons are available for adults and children.
- Hire the pool for a private event or party along with our large barbecue
- The pool now has underwater lights – great for evening atmosphere
- Disabled facilities: entrance ramp, shallow steps and purpose-built shower, changing and toilet facility. Please ring ahead to let us know what you require.
- Online booking
- Please email the pool for swimming lessons and private hire
Who funds & runs the pool?
The pool is run as a charitable business by a committee of 8 Trustees.
Ticket sales and a small annual start up grant from Petersfield Town Council covers daily operational costs.
Refurbishment and development is reliant on donations, fundraising and a wonderful pool of volunteers – come and join them!
Fundraising events take place throughout the season such as: Night Swims, Synchronised Swimming shows, Cake Sales, Swimming Galas, Wine Tasting evenings… These are advertised locally, on the pool website and on our Facebook page so stay in touch to find out what’s on.
Why not join our 200 club which awards lottery prizes monthly?
The pool is an RLSS approved site for Lifeguard Training, staff regularly carry out lifeguard training and courses are offered to the public.
How can you support the Pool?
Come to special events; join the Supporters Club; become a volunteer do a sponsored run, bike ride or just swim as often as you can – and bring your friends!
And please donate whatever and whenever you can through. The Pool needs the support of our local community to survive.
Little Bit of Background
Petersfield Open Air Swimming Pool is a Charity (Registered number 301917) held in trust for the people of Petersfield. We open from Spring until Autumn and you’ll find that we are the best and friendliest pool in the South of England. Come on down for a swim or snack and enjoy the waters!
In the late 1950s, a group of people set about providing a swimming pool for the youth of Petersfield; a clean and safe alternative to the Heath pond, where some youngsters used to swim in fine weather. Funds were raised by the people of Petersfield and the surrounding areas which were boosted by a significant grant from the Department of Education as the pool would be ‘educating and training’ young people. Finally in May 1962 after much fundraising, the pool was opened by Sir David Eccles, Minister for Education at a cost of £13,000.
Out of this emphasis on youth and learning to swim came the swimming club, which is still in operation today, meeting on Tuesday evenings. It encourages children of all ages to take part in coaching, training, fitness and use of the diving board and always welcomes new members.
Since those early days the pool has maintained local support and through fundraising by its many supporters and volunteers has been able to keep improving its facilities and has opened year on year. It now has excellent disabled facilities, hot showers, refurbished and lit changing rooms, a relined paddling pool, sun loungers, picnic tables, benches and a covered area in case of rain.
Some things at the pool have not changed. The immaculate cleanliness of the pool and its surrounds is kept up by Aaron Conroy, the Manager, and his team, as are the high standards of life guarding and behaviour. The old-fashioned turnstile is still there, as are the brightly coloured changing room doors. Green hedges and fences still surround the pool providing a secluded, tranquil setting in the heart of the town. In fact, the pool, with its personal and friendly atmosphere has managed to retain an intimacy, which sets it apart from today’s large, faceless leisure centres.